Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"My Playmate" Analysis

I chose to analyze the poem "My Playmate", by John Greenleaf Whittier. The literal translation is as follows:
"The pine trees on Ramoth Hill were very dark, and blossoms were falling off the trees because of the May wind.
The blossoms fell at our feet, the birds from the orchard were singing clear, it was the sweetest yet saddest day of the year.
My playmate left her home, but it hurt me more than the animals, and took with her spring, music, and the bloom of flowers.
She kissed her family and acquaintances, and held my hand; what more could I ask, I who had fed her father's cows?
She left in May, years kept passing and May mornings llike the one she left happened, but she never returned.
I walk through the years, and every year I sow in spring and reap the ears of corn in autumn.
She lives where her summer roses blow all year long, and she sees the children of the sun come and go.
Perhaps there she smooths her silken gown with jewelled hands, which is no longer the lap with homespun clothes where I shook the walnuts.
Wild grapes are on the hill and nuts are on the hill, they wait for us, but still the woods of Follymill are made sweet by the May flowers.
Lilies blossom, birds build nests, and the dark pines on Ramoth Hill sing the slow song of the sea.
I wonder if she thinks of the trees and the old times, or if the pines of Ramoth Hill are in her dreams.
I see her face and hear her voice, does she remember mine?
What am I to her now, I that fed her father's cows?
Does she care that orioles build for other eyes than ours, that other hands are filled with nuts or other laps with flowers?
Oh playmate in the good old days!
Our mossy seat is still green, the violets bloom around it, and trees bend over it.
The winds which blow with the scent of birch and fern, also blow memories, and in spring the veeries sing of long ago.
The pines of Ramoth Wood are still moaning like the sea, the sea of change which has come between you and me."

Whittier used a number of poetic devices. He similes, and an example of one is when he says "...The blossoms in the sweet May wind were falling like the snow." He is using the simile "like the snow" to describe the blossoms. He brings up another mental picture of snow falling to show how the petals were falling. He also uses imagery in a number of ways. He paints beautiful pictures with his words. Some examples of this are "The blossoms drifted at our feet, The orchard birds sang clear;..." "The lilies blossom in the pond, the bird builds in the tree,..." "...Our mossy seat is green, Its fringing violets blossom yet, The old trees o'er it lean."

I think this poem is pretty straightforward, and it is talking about his playmate from when he was young. He worked on her father's farm and really looked up to her, and he probably had a crush on her. One day, when she became old enough, she left the farm on a beautiful May day, and she never came back. Whittier assumed that she had done well for herself, so he assumed that she was wearing beautiful clothes and had expensive material items. He still wants her to come back to him and it seems as if she was his first love, and that he spent many years of his life pining for her. The poem never explains, though, what happened to either of them, so the poem just seems very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment