Sunday, August 22, 2010

My Opinion on "The Old Man and the Sea"

The Old Man and the Sea is a very different book than both The Grapes of Wrath and The Catcher in the Rye. The Old Man and the Sea was a much shorter book, and I also enjoyed it a lot more than the other two. It made a lot of sense to me, and I really liked the lessons that could be learnt from it, such as patience, bravery, and heroism. The heroism was phenomenal in the book, and it made me wish that more people were like the Old Man. I thought it was very interesting how the Old Man knew all about the ocean, its patterns, the fish that swim in it, where those fish would be, the fishes' patterns, and weather patterns. He knew exactly what was going to happen, and the only thing that he could not know is whether or not the fish would bite his bait that day. He was a good man through conflict and trouble, and many people loved the Old Man because of how kind and gentle he was, no matter what happened to him. I did not like that the people in the story did not always like the Old Man, because he was obviously always nice and kind to them all, and he had never done anything against them. It made sense to me that they had not for a while, though, because if they had always liked him, then the lesson of perservering would not be so deeply ingrained into the story. It also made me upset that the Old Man could not bring the live fish in, because it only seemed fair that after he had done so much he would have been somehow rewarded. The Old Man was an incredible character, and I loved learning so much about him while I was reading the book. The Old Man and the Sea was a very good book that I really enjoyed reading, even if I did not like everything in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment