Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Opinion on "The Catcher in the Rye"

The Catcher in the Rye is not an incredibly long book, but it gets its message across just as well as a book that is twice its length. I thought the book was pretty good, and it was not something that I minded reading. The Catcher in the Rye did not have an obvious message, and it took me some time to try to dig deep and figure it out. It was a message that one must interpret, and it can be interpreted in many different ways. I took it as saying that people should stay in school and work hard to keep their grades up so they will do well later in life. The characters in the book were kind of flat, because there was not much explained about them. There was no information into their pasts, and one did not get to see many sides of their character. When one saw a character, one only saw a portion of how they act and how they react to different situations. The setting was also very different than most of the other stories that I am used to reading. I am not used to reding stories about boarding schools, and it would have been more interesting to me to read more about them. I also would have liked to know more about what the people liked to do then and how they lived. It would have been fun to read about New York back then and to find out if it was the bustling city that it is now. It was interesting to find out what a teenage boy thought about in those times, and it was funny to read about Sally. Sally was funny to me because she showed that people have been like that since the beginning of time and they will never stop being like that. The Catcher in the Rye was overall a decent book, but it did not go very deep into the character and the ending was very abrupt.

No comments:

Post a Comment