Monday, April 4, 2011

Job Shadowing

I job shadowed a teacher named Mrs. Petit from A-C Central. She taught a class of first graders that were really fun. There were only fourteen of them, but that made the day a lot easier, because I had less names that I needed to learn. The children were adorable, and very fun to be around. Some of the day was mildly boring, because I just had to sit there and listen. While I know that is what I am supposed to do, I would have loved to have been able to actually take part in helping to teach the children. I got to see them do many different things, such as music, physical education, computers, and library. It was fun to watch them all do many different things, and it helped give me a better feel for the different areas of teaching. I also got to see different reading levels, and that also helped me to realize that the children are not all at the same level. One of the young girls was a fantastic reader, but she had a hard time paying attention, so she ended up being put in the slow reading group because her mom requested it. This all helped me realize that teaching can be complicated, and working with parents on different topics is just as important as working with the children. I will need to be organized and engaging, and that will make everything go a lot more smoothly. I can definitely see myself teaching, and this experience only added to the knowledge that I am trying to gain to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment